Thursday, January 1, 2009

Year End Wrap-Up: Movies and TV

So, I'm gonna take a moment to reflect on 2008.

...

Yeah, okay. It's been reflected upon, and it's still one of the worst years of my life so far. But, who cares? So what? I still have my health, my loved ones, my friends, a roof over my head, and so on. It was just a lot of little things over the year that just... Picked and picked at me, tearing me down, you know? Yeah, you know. Of course you know. It got to you, too, didn't it, this year? Yeah, it's okay... I think it got to everyone, for different reasons, but we all felt the same in the end: breathing in gun-powder-laced smoke, and exhaling one Hell of a sigh of relief that 2008, the fucker, is over.

Long live 2009. 2008 is a year's worth of grains of time I'd definitely sift through before saving.

In other news, Helen's made a resolution, and I applaud her. I'll help her as much as I can. I'll be her little encourager! I'm a good sidekick, like that.

A number of Gooey acquaintances of mine were in Atlantic City tonight, at the Dolls' NYE gig, and I can't wait to hear how it went. An early report from Steph is saying it was pretty good.

Also, since I covered music in my last wrap-up, I figured I'd do Movies and TV. So... Here we go.
(in the run-on sentence style, no less.)

Movies: The Dark Knight was amazing, surpassing Batman Begins as the best Batman movie, which was a surprise in and of itself; X-Files: I Want to Believe was good for what it was, and it gave me the Mulder/Scully closure I needed; The Strangers was the scariest horror film I've seen since The Descent, and I'm actually proud of Liv Tyler for taking a chance and doing a totally different genre; The Day the Earth Stood Still was meh, as I knew it would be; Wall-E was prop(agandishly)erly adorable; Prince Caspian wasn't as good as The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe; Bolt didn't re-invent the wheel, but it was fun and precious; The Other Boleyn Girl had some delicious Eric Bana in it, but that didn't save this eye-brow-raising take on Henry the VIII and Anne Boleyn; Pride and Glory was another cop drama, but was raised above mediocre thanks to Edward Norton; and The Happening was just bad.

TV: Fringe delivered. I was expecting a new X-Files, and that's what I got, with King Denethor (John Noble) to boot! House, so far, hasn't been delivering in its fifth season, but... Hopefully the rest of the season will pick up the slack. The Shield ended, and I dedicated a whole entry to it. And, I don't have much else to say... South Park was as good as always, and I'm still enjoying Family Guy and American Dad. Oh, I am sorry that this next year will be the end for King of the Hill; that one's grown on me. I can't wait for Lie to Me, Tim Roth's new show. Oh, and I think I might, this coming Summer, rent some DVDs and give Heroes another shot. I might. I may also start watching Supernatural. And, an edit, because I forgot... Testees is fucking hilarious, and I hope it gets renewed for a second season.

And, that's it. *raises glass* Here's to moving past where we've been, onward to where we should be, with whomever may be with us, along for the ride, or already there, waiting.


we were all in love, and we all got hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment