Friday, April 10, 2009

Rzezkac

Okay. So, this other Goober contacted me via PM over on Lucky Star. And, she's all on the topic of bromance - you know, that semi-new buzz word that over romanticizes deep, platonic love between dudes? Yeah, that affliction of, say, House and Wilson, JD and Turk, and Spongebob and Patrick, for example...

Well, wouldn't you know it, she PMs to discuss the Gooey bromance of Rzeznik and Takac, which I lazily, yet lovingly, refer to as: Rzezkac. (Doesn't that actually sound like it could be some random Polish/Hungarian surname...? Hell if I know.) And, well, I won't go into the specifics of the conversation, since I don't really have her permission to talk about it. However, I will say that it got me thinking.

This whole bromance thing is pretty new, right? I mean, it seems to be hitting its peak right around now, especially with I Love You, Man, but it's still relatively recent. As in, it wasn't a popular term, or may not have even existed, back in, say, 1998.

Why am I picking 1998?
Oh, why ever would I pick THAT year?...

The goober's PM got me thinking, because I realized that in my 12 years as a Goober, I never described Rzezkac as a bromance. Now, you could argue that I never did, because the term wasn't around. Sure, okay... But, see, here's the counter-argument to that: Even now, I don't describe Rzezkac as a bromance.

I call it what it is: love.
They're bestest buddies, pure and simple. They're like brothers, and they fight over stupid shit, but stand by each other through all the rain and all the sunshine, too. They gush on camera about how they couldn't do this without the other, and then, on the radio, they joke how they're just stuck with each other, like an old married couple that wouldn't stand a chance separately if they broke up.

That dynamic is partly what attracts me to the Dolls. It's not just the kickass music, the meaningful lyrics, or the good deeds they do: it's, literally, them. And, it goes beyond the two of them taken separately. It's more than how I was once an obzezzive, but I turned into a fanatak circa 2000; more than how they each have qualities that I idealize and pray to find in real mean; more than idolization (because I've moved beyond worshipping them).

It's them and their relationship. It, like other famous friendships (like Hawthorne and Melville's), just warms my heart. It really astounds me and makes me so happy, and hopeful, to see two people have such a wonderful connection with each other, especially in a world where I believe that, although we may seem so connected with each other, the technology that links us might do more harm than good in the long-run, as far as real relationships are concerned. (You can type your condolences to someone over AIM, and use all the emoticons you know, but it's never the same as holding someone when they're upset and making them feel better just by literally being there for them. That AIM conversation, or the exchange of Notes on f_book may seem real, but it's really superficial.)

And, yes, I'm aware of my hypocrisy, as I am fully aware that I'm typing all this out in a BLOG.

...Anyway, I haven't really responded to the other Goober. About what she's asking, I'm not quite sure. I thought I knew, but the more I think about it; I really don't, and it's not something that's been decided upon, let alone even discussed, within the fandom. And neither of us are brave enough to get the conversation started. Being an outcast wouldn't be fun.

Anyways, feel free to ignore all this whimsy: I just ramble about them, together or apart, sometimes. I can't help it; it's one of the things I really love about the band... Because, if it wasn't for that connection, that bond, there wouldn't be any by-products of it, like that amazing performance of Name from a few posts back: or this Black Balloon.

Their dedication to each other, their love, their... Bromance? (Sure, fine... What the hell, why not? Let's keep it timely...) It just... Makes me smile.
a thousand other boys could never reach you, how could i have been the one

3 comments: