Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Swoon

Okay. So, we all know I'm happily apart from people, yeah? Right, well, okay, so... Let's say that, for once, I actually want to talk to someone, anyone... Just someone who cares enough to listen to my unintelligible rants for just a little while until I pull it the fuck together and stop crying, okay? Right... Well, so I call, and I call, and no one answers... No one.
Not the guy who said he hoped to see me today, nor the best-friend, nor the other best-friend, nor the Goober who texted me twice with Gooey nonsense, while I'm supposed to be in the classroom... Not them. Not even parents... Except, for Dad. He answered....

And he heard it all...

In vastly more important news... Yesterday, the 14th, was the release of Silversun Pickups' sophomore album, Swoon. About two months ago, I pre-ordered it on Amazon. Also yesterday, I started the last fourth of my Honors seminar: Dance, and the release of that album was the only thing I was looking forward to the whole day. Imagine my extreme disappointment when it was NOT in my mailbox when I checked, two times. Thankfully, Michael saved me from the disappointment, while openly criticizing my music taste, as only he can. Then, my mother helped in her own way, letting me know that in July, we're going to go see Aerosmith and ZZ Top at the Woodlands. Oh, and I also joined Inner Machine, finally. It was actually a decent day.

Then today came and almost went, until a bright little blip of musical bliss pulled me out of the dregs. Swoon had appeared in my mailbox, when I half-expected emptiness. Moral of the story...? Always think the glass is half empty, that way happiness is more easily accessible if the glass gets filled up. Tahdah, easy road to happiness.


So, without further adieu, my review of Swoon:
Song 1: There's No Secrets This Year
Hooray for long titles... You know, I don't really remember Carnavas having titles like that, except for, WTOT.... That's about the only one that was longer and semi-awkwar- Oh! Right, the song... Okay, wow... Aubert's singing a little quicker than normal. It's unexpected, but it's a neat surprise that somehow works with the lyrics. It's a good, strong opener: a little rockier than the fare found on Carnavas.
However, one slight complaint, and yeah I know it's the chorus and all, but... It seems like the song relies on it a little too much, which isn't like them, imo... Oh, well, it's still solid, especially when it breaks down at roughly 4:30, and we're given a peak into the album's title.
4/5

Song 2: The Royal We
The guitars sound great with the slight strings... I love the combination of strings and rock; always have, always will. In fact, I think this combines the two as good as, say, GGD's Iris, or Black Balloon, but just in a different way.
Okay, this one seems more verse-based... I like it a lot so far; Aubert's vocals seem angrier and more urgent. But, still, they can slow down and pull you in without scaring you off. This one has a great driving beat to it... It really rocks, comparatively. And his vacillation between quiet and loud is really nice. I like that he's making a point to show off his volume and range, and Monninger's backing vocals are perfect.
5/5

Song 3: Growing Old is Getting Old
The first few notes, for whatever reason, make me think of Modest Mouse, which is good in my book. Anyway, loving the simple beat, and the ghostiness to his vocals at first. Oooh, it's nice how the guitars kick in, and the drums, about half-way, too, bringing us out of a haze... Hmm... I really like the bridge and chorus to this one, too: We sing, fight, we cry. / we slide, slide, we slide into the light / Maybe we're sealed in silence / And maybe we feel a guidance. This one is really good... Ends very strong.
5/5

Song 4: It's Nice to Know You Work Alone
Okay, first few notes, and I'm NOT DIGGING... But, this is SSPU, so I'll keep going. Okay, once those notes fade out, the song gets instantly better. I guess it's just a weak opening hook. The grinding, rough guitar is good, gives the sensitive-seeming song an edge. It's good, but I think it's the weakest track so far.
3/5

Song 5: Panic Switch
Well, this is the opening single for Swoon, so it should be awesome, right? Oh, it IS awesome... This, I think, might be their loudest song yet, and it's kickass. I think it's a fantastic pick for the lead single, and I think it'll do well. It gets played a lot on MTVU...
5/5

Song 6: Draining
Starting off soft, after such a loud song.... Makes sense. I'm digging this one a lot, a nice, dreamy trip through aether; a perfect relaxation after Panic Switch.
5/5

Song 7: Sort Of
This MIGHT be my favorite song on the album. Aubert's vocalization, going all up and down.... It's really hypnotizing. Plus, the psychadelic guitars as great... This is just a fantastic song... Like, it could have been a bonus on Carnavaz, I think.
5/5, easily.

Song 8: Substitution
This one seems to be the most straightforward rock song, not as dreamy/experimental/ambient as their typical work. It almost sounds surreal: that type of music with Aubert's vocals.... But, I really love this one, too.... It's a great follow-up to Sort Of.
5/5

Song 9: Catch and Release
A song about love and sex and romance.... It's very sexual, but it's very beautiful, too... I really love the strings, and the one line: "Who knows / how this feeling grows?" Super simple, but really poignant...
5/5

Song 10: Surrounded (or spiraling)
Back to the distortion and flatter vocals, and breathiness... I'm diggin', but not quite as much as some of the other songs. However, the lyrics are very strong, as usual. "Are you dancing / or stumbling beside me?" etc.... And, points for them ending with a 4:44 minute song...
4/5

Conclusion:
I'm assuming that they, perhaps, made a conscious decision to ROCK more on this album, so I don't want to say they should stick with surreal/dreamy music, because I feel that they're competent in both styles. Yet, and this is mostly just because of my personal taste, I think they're a little stronger with THAT style, versus rockier/heavier music. Aubert's vocals are beautiful, in a raspy, nasally, whiny sort of way, and I love them... And, I think they might fit a little more with the dreamy music, but they're still a wonderful addition to the heavier side. All in all, this was deffinitely worth the two and a half years since Carnavas, and I'm very happy with it. I'm not sure if it was as Earth-Shattering as Starsailor's All the Plans, but... It's damn good.

New music 2009 continues, next time.... With >Ezra! Until then...... There'll be teasing snippets of in-progress Goo to tide me over! (Or not, if it all ends up vaguely reminding me of LLI.)
animate my body without my soul

7 comments:

  1. Glad you...no...must...resist...bad pun..sw-liked it. There's nothing worse than waiting and waiting for something that doesn't deliver and nothing better than when it does. I was like that with the 3 Doors Down CD (i.e. - the only CD I've ever waited for to get so far) That Goo snippet has me thinkin' U2 though. (Truth be told, it's cool that they're switching it up, but I'm a little nervous at what the end result might be like. I was too chicken to admit it before.)

    Sorry I wasn't online yesterday. I was tired as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, you could have punned. I would have loved it.

    Yeah... I don't like U2........... But, I... You know, I might retreat back into ignorance and avoid Gooey snippets and just wait and be surprised.

    It's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it'll be like anti-Real. Whereas I'm sorta nervous with the snippet though it has potential to be kickass and it ends up being just that instead of totally enamoured with the Real snippet and having it sorta fall flat.

    Then again, we don't know what the lyrics are so, maybe that'll change things a lot. Like BD instrumental versus regular BD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i grabbed the album yesterday (it was record store day, i needed to support my local shop). i've never listened to them before, so i don't have a lot to compare it to, but i am really loving "panic switch." a lot of the other songs sounded sort of samey to me on first listen, but that one stood out to me in a big way. the rest of what i heard (and i haven't yet heard the whole album) sounded cool, but i just couldn't really tell them apart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph, I totally hear what you're saying. I mean, really... Their music is samey-samey, until (I think) you start listening to it over and over. Like, if you played a song for me right this second, especially from the new one... Without vocals, I wouldn't be able to tell you which one it is. But, if you dig this one, and want to give their first album a try, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm late with this (been having computer problems left and right with this site)but you will always have an ear here. I know I'm not up to date with everything but I'm a good sounding board if you want to scream, cry, cuss or whatever you are welcome to call anytime day or night. I do mean it. (I have one friend that calls at 1 in the morning to cry.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, hunny... I know you're always there, and I appreciate it. I just feel weird calling out for help.

    ReplyDelete