Tuesday, March 17, 2009

All the Plans

And, so I'm finally listening to Starsailor's new one, All the Plans. My God, you guys... I know some of y'all don't exactly care for them, but... I still have to gush. This album is fantastic. So far this year, it's the best I've heard, from anyone. Hell... It's great, period... I haven't been this moved since... God, I don't know... SSPU's Carnavas. And, that was a while ago.

If Goo can blow me away half as much as SS has this time around... It'll be fantastic!

So, without further adieu...


Artist: Starsailor
Album:
All the Plans, studio album
Release: 2009, Virgin

Song 1: Tell Me It's Not Over
Okay, this is definitely the single-song of the album. I like it. It's more pop-rocky than they usually are, so it's a nice change of pace. And, on another note: the video makes me think of the Dolls' video for
Stay With You.
4/5

Song 2: Boy In Waiting
Okay, this is much more like typical SS. It's a simple low-key song. Good, solid music, and it just lets James Walsh's voice soar and sway.
4/5

Song 3: The Thames
It sounds a little country-ish, and I'm digging it. Especially, wow, the opening lines: "Is love just a big mistake/a risk we all take/in order to keep the blues away?" This band is a lyric-focused band. Always have been, always will be, I think. Oh, and the chorus is a nice swing in tempo.
5/5

Song 4: All the Plans
Title-track time! This one's a little rock-ier than the last few. Like, I'm finally hearing, music-wise, what Rolling Stone heard when they called them Britain's GGD... I'm also feeling a little Powerdfinger-vibes, too. And, I'm all for it. And, as always, the lyrics are just honest and powerful. "I want to win your heart"- God, perfect. And, my God... There's harmonica!
5/5

Song 5: Neon Sky
Slowing down a bit... All right, understandable coming from the last track. Ooooh, Walsh is hitting some gorgeous high notes! I dig. Oh, the chorus!!!! Oh, wow... The backing just completes it.
5/5

Song 6: You Never Get What You Deserve
Another amazing track... It's just great. The lyrics? Fallen angels and shining stars... That's all I need to say. I love the use of piano, while it still rocks... And the re-occurring theme of plans.
5/5

Song 7: Hurts Too Much
The repeating piano notes.... It's got me hooked. And the lyrics are just sooooo powerful, and there's backing vocals again... And, it's like all the amazing elements of the album so far rolled into this one song. "You're looking for something you already know"...
5/5

Song 8: Stars and Stripes
I'm sensing some political thoughts here, and it's okay... In fact, as much as I don't like obviously-loaded songs, like this one, the music is a good enough groove for me to almost ignore the lyrics. Almost.
3/5

Song 9: Change My Mind
I'm still in love with bar-room feel to the majority of their piano this time around, as a whole. And, this song is just another great example. It's bluesy and wonderful, and the up and down of Welsh's voice is perfect for it. Take note of the breakdown mid-song.
4/5

Song 10: Listen Up
Why don't you listen.... Why don't you listen tooooo meeeeeeeee....
Oh, wrong band.
Anyhow. The music is fan-fucking-tastic this time around. The thudding constant beat is great, and the dreamy random chimes half-hidden in the background are an interesting touch. And, I love Walsh's vocals, but it's somehow brilliant how he's nearly-swallowed by the music in the chorus.
5/5
(and possibly my favorite track on the album.)

Song 11: Safe at Home
The deep notes that almost echo; love 'em. It's a real simple song, and his vocals are great -- a little less Walsh-ish than normal. The slow simplicity is a great way to finish off their best album to date.
5/5


Artist: Starsailor
Album: All the Plans, acoustic bonus disc
Release: 2009, Virgin

Song 1: Listen Up
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH. It's the same song, with alternate lyrics... And it's done a complete 180... It was hopeful, but now is love-centered and complex. And, once again, Walsh's voice seems a little subdued, insomuch that it can be.
"There's just something from your heart I just might not ever understand."
5/5

Song 2: Tell Me It's Not Over
This song is so much more powerful with the amps turned down.
5/5

Song 3: All the Plans
Walsh just sings so well... I mean, you love him or hate him... And, well, I clearly love him, and this is just a great example of his talent.
5/5

Song 4: Merry Go Round
I just went on about Walsh's voice... it's all th emore impressive when it's backed-up. And, those high notes? Woah.
4/5

Song 5: The Thames
This song is somehow sadder, and I didn't think it could be. Maybe it's the strings-like sound in the background that's all th emore apparent?
5/5

Song 6: Change My Mind
This is the only song I *almost* dislike as an acoustic... His vocal stylings in the middle of this version are a little jolting.
3/5

Song 7: Stars and Stripes
Still my least favorite song. It's less flattering acoustically.
2/5


Artist: Starsailor
Album: Boy In Waiting EP
Release: 2009, Virgin

Song 1: Boy In Waiting
Same as the album one.
4/5

Song 2: Do You Believe in Love
A little more rockin'. Everything grinds a little more on this one. I dig, and I can see how I might not have fit with the rest of the album.
5/5

Song 3: Black Limosuine
Same thing with this one... Except, not precisely bluesy, just harder rock (for them).
5/5

Song 4: Darling Be Home Soon
Pretty strings... Somewhat dreamy. And he used 'dawddled' and made it rhyme.
4/5


In other news, now that Tim Palmer's been announced as the producer for the new Goo album, I'm officially excited. That's right; I've broken my own spell of apathy (which was a defense mechanism) and I care again.
i wanna write the one that cuts just like it should

3 comments:

  1. I had a feeling that it was a defense mechanism, you know. I can't help but think of Squall and that one line he said about not getting your hopes up so you feel less pain (or something like that that) *GameFAQS it*

    "As long as you don't get your hopes up, you can take anything... You feel less pain."

    Ah, close enough. Oh and I'm choosing to ignore that review. Glad you're happy about the double-disk CD, but like you said, you either love the vocals or you don't and I clearly fall in the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got Silence is easy by them. it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, really? Cool!
    The album, or the song?

    ReplyDelete