Friday, March 13, 2009

Life, the Universe and Everything

Okay. So, I got Amungus' '05 ambient piece, Life, the Universe and Everything earlier than I expected. That's because it was delivered here, to H-Town, whereas I thought it was going to be shipped to H-Ville. At first, this kind of sucked, because I had to explain to Mom that it only cost, like, ten bucks, as she went on to remind me that I'm a poor college student, etc...


But, then, things got better. I thought that, here, I wouldn't have the time to really sit and listen to it all. But, wait, you ask... You've done that with the Cure and Thursday, what's different this time around? Well, okay... I'll answer that, imaginary person.

See, this cd is a 42:42 ambient/mood piece that Amungus did to accompany (I'm assuming) Wendy Marvel's artwork, and others', at the '05 MiA/Rockin' at the Knox festival up in B_Lo. It's not just a collection of 12 or so songs, like the Cure and Thursday, and anything else I'll be listening to this year will be. It's one solid work, which means that to scribble about it properly, I'd have to be able to really listen to it -- all of it -- beforehand. I couldn't do what I did with the others and listen to a song here or there, if needed.


That explained; I'm on my fourth listen. I can't let it go.


And, no, I'm not the first Goober to talk about this. Rzeznik-Girl beat me to it, as she should have. And... I'm glad she did, because, as unintentional as I'm sure it is, she's giving me a springboard, as I'm not sure how to even start... So, here we go.


Okay, so Steph equated all of this to water, and I can totally see... Hear what she's getting at. She also suggested (and I might be misunderstanding...) that the purpose of this piece (accompanying artwork) might have effected its sound. I can see what she's meaning, if I'm understanding her. Though... I like to think that Schulmeister and Takac had these dreamscapes in their heads and were, perhaps, just waiting for a reason to unleash them; like this was just some nice coincidence. In the end, though, it doesn't really matter, as this can just be boiled down to a 'chicken vs. egg' debate.


What matters is the product, and this product is... Really amazing.


Before I do my best to try and tackle it, let me back up and explain something... I was a little iffy about their EP, as dance/elctronica/pop/club music is very hit or miss for me, and as y'all know I was pleasantly surprised. The Truth Is... kicked ass, and it's constantly in rotation in my car, as I loooooove Search Your Soul, Green Tea and Broken Love.

I'm re-hashing this to point out that... I assumed, going into LtUaE, that I'd like it. See, I'm one of those H-Town chicks who used to tune in every Saturday night at ten o'clock, to 88.7, the U of H station, in order to hear Hearts of Space, an hour-long, syndicated ambient program. I dig ambient music, even when it's just wtf-ish walls of sound. (All right, that, to an extent.) So, it was a safe bet that I'd like this piece.

And, I love it. I really, really do. I love how it reminds me of water, in all ways imagineable: floating in it, sinking in it, watching it rain, drip by drop, down and up; seeing it freeze over and shatter, or just feeling it run and trickle over you, or collect all stagnant in puddles. (And, no, that wasn't some half-assed refference to the Dolls' video for Real.) I also love how, on my fifth listen now, I still don't know where it'll go next. I thought I might have it down, but no! I don't. It's a dynamic piece...
...That I have no idea how to write about.

So... This is my solution... I can't go through it, minute by minute... So... Here are some highlights to this aqueous work. (all times are approximate, but you'll know it when you hear it.)


30 seconds and onward: Droplets... drip, dri-dri-drip, drip; a foundation, and it builds.

2 and a half minutes: breathing underwater (isn't that how long Yuna can hold her breath in FFx-2?...)

3 minutes and forty seconds: addition of piano-ish synth notes (y'all know I'm a sucker for piano... Hell, I love Slaughterhouse...)

4 minutes and forty-five seconds: little knife-like sound, like a sword being drawn

5 and a half minutes: everything's just building and becoming more complex

6 minutes and 11 seconds: HERE'S OUR MOTIF. (nice crackle-ing, too)

7 minutes and five seconds: more of that nice piano

8 minutes and forty seconds: that effectual sound of something being ripped away, like time slipping backwards

9 minutes and twenty seconds: it's all dies down; absoultely gorgeous

10 minutes and forty-five seconds: that deeper, wavering sounds that's thrown in

11 minutes and twenty-five seconds: see above, just uitlized more (omg, love it.)

12 minutes: those little metallic notes that seem to bounce around the space

12 minutes and 15 seconds: those mechanic/technological noises that seem static-y

13 minutes and thirty-two seconds: everything climaxes after a unique build

14 minutes and twenty-five seconds: more of that awesome wire-y, harder sound

15 minutes and eleven seconds: the motif comes back, to provide us with some ground

16 minutes and nine seconds: melody.

17 minutes and forty seconds: MORE PIANO!!!!!! and it's beautiful.

18 minutes and seventeen seconds: background noise that becomes prevalent, like something being spirited away

19 minutes and twenty-six seconds: everything's getting heavy again

20 minutes and twenty-two seconds: a hint of some structure, in the background, for those who might want it

20 minutes and forty seconds : there's our motif again, but disconnected... almost like it's under water

21 minutes and forty-four seconds: a small background noise that makes me think of a siren, a la Kill Bill, almost

23 minutes: things start to get a little sci-fi ish, and i'm all for it.

23 minutes and fifty-seven seconds: little soft twinkle of notes

25 minutes and ten seconds: still deep in sci-fi land

27 minutes and twenty-five seconds: our motif, in yet another form

30 minutes and twelve seconds: some more low melody, in the background

30 minutes and forty-six seconds: GREG FUCKING SURAN on guitar. that is all.

34 minutes and twenty seconds: it's all getting hard and heavy again

35 minutes: there's that motif, amidst the staic and grit

35 minutes and fifty-three seconds: piano added, like it's all coming together

38 minutes and forty-two seconds: it's all mixing in and out of each other, and there's some wind chimes

39 minutes and forty seconds: birds?... in the background, faintly?

40 minutes and twenty seconds: another breath? are we coming up for air? out of the water, and about to dry off?

41 minutes and on: everything's flickering in and out, like something fluttering, or dying

41 minutes and fifty-five seconds: wind


And, you should be blown away by then. (Oh, and it appears that I did a minute-by-minute anyway... Ooops. My bad... It's just that good, I guess.)

In other news: I saw Watchmen today, and I don't know what everyone's bitching about, but I thought it was excellent. Then again, I had no issues with V for Vendetta, either... And, it seems like people who were meh on that one are meh on this one, too. And, some people are bitching about Snyder directing, and I love what he did. Then again, I loved 300, too.... Hmmm, perhaps I have shitty taste.

Also, apparently the Dolls have picked a producer: Tim Palmer.
.....Fuck, I have been trying so hard NOT to be excited about this album, but now... FUCK, NOW I SO AM, OMG!!!!!! Just go check out what Palmer's helped with, and get back to me. You'll see what I'm dying over. (Hints: Kajagoogoo and Cure...)

Oh, and new music continues for me. Today I got Deluxe from >Ezra. I used to have a copy, but it up and went missing years ago. I also got Yellowcard's Lights and Sounds, and Cure's Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me; because I need to work on building my discographies of, well, all three.

I'm hanging with Delmy tomorrow, and we might see the remake of Last House on the Left. Hooray for Spring Break.

Oh, and happy Friday 13th. Mine was wonderful. (Isn't this the second one we had in a row?)
i've been up all night writing books about heroes and crooks

No comments:

Post a Comment