Thursday, March 12, 2009

Common Existence

Okay. So, Spring Break continues tomorrow with a trip to the noodle house and then a venture down to Rave to see The Watchmen. I've heard up and down reviews, and I'm trying my best to be open minded, so y'all'll hear my thoughts later.

New Music 2009 continues! I just found out last night that Better than Ezra is going to drop an album this year, too. And, they'll be hitting up H-Town's House of Blues in June! I'm actually going to try to go... I've wanted to see them for a while, and this might be one of my last times for awhile, so...

Anyway. To continue with new music... Let's look at Thursday's fourth major label release, shall we?


Band: Thursday
Album: Common Existence
Release: 2009, Epitaph

Song 1: Resucitation of a Dead Man
Not to dis on Thursday, because I really like them, or anything, but... Man, is this song much more powerful WITHOUT a video accompanying it. Let me explain. This is the only song I'd heard before purchasing the album, and it was only because I saw the video, with an interview, on Fuse. Sure, it was really cool, and pretty... But... It somehow took away from the song. At least, it did for me. Anyhow... In auditory-only land, this song rocks, and it's a great opener.
Approve.

Song 2: Last Call
Okay, digging the crazy drums. And, I love how it's about a wedding... About how we're all thinking about a last-second escape route at these things. It's a soft subject, hidden under such hard music.... I'm digging it.
Totally approve.

Song 3: As He Climbed the Dark Mountain
I dig lyrics that are rich in poetic devices. Like symbolism and metaphor... Like this song, that even questions itself as to what it all means. I like that, too... It's almost tongue-in-cheek, doing that, but everything's so powerful... It's utterly wrenching, and I'm in love with the fast-slow pacing...
Totally approve.

Song 4: Friends in the Armed Forces
Meh....... I don't dig the subject matter, but the music's pretty rockin'; I really like the sound so... I could totally let this play if I just put the whole album on, you know, and kind of fade out on the lyrics... However, I wouldn't single this one out, you know?
Not quite so much approval.

Song 5: Beyond the Visible Spectrum
What is it with this band and the song names? A little EB-ish... Though.... EB came out after..... Uhm, anyway... The vocals are a little too swallowed during some of it, but it works out well, in the end. Geoff Rickly's vocals are soaring in this one, and carrying me away, and I'm all for it.
Totally approve.

Song 6: Time's Arrow
I fucking love this one. That. Is. All. (Take notice of the backwards theme manifested by the sound effects mid-song.)
EPICLY APPROVE.

Song 7: Unintended Long Term Effects
For some reason, the start of this makes me think of RHCP's "Can't Stop"..... Anyway, after that slowed-down time-trip, we jump back into what Thursday does best: delivering well thought out lyrics in the midst of hard and fast alt. rock. It rocks, and it's quick; clocking in at barely over two minutes.
Approve.

Song 8: Circuits of Fever
I'm loving the siren-ish guitars. Of course, Rickly's delivering spot-on vocals, as he always does. And, this time around... They're a little softer, a little whisper-y, and it totally works. The music break is good, and then elongated wail is nice, with 2 minutes to go. And, then we switch to the yelling, and then there's some cool twinkle-y effects, and it all works.
Approve.

Song 9: Subway Funeral
Eight leads directly into nine, and that's cool. There seems to be a little more bass, or the bass is... Singled out some, and I'm all for that. (gee, really?) The bass is what's keeping me going this time, because... I'm not quite feeling this one. Oh, well. It'll play if I play the whole thing.
Meh approval.

Song 10: Love Has Led Us Astray
Starting out very low-key? Okay. I dig. I'm also digging the simplicity and relative quietness. It's just cool for them to prove they can turn down the energy, and still succeed. It's also a good chance for Rickly to show off just how well he sings. The filters and effects on him are also a nice, poignant touch. The upswell in the end is also a nice climax.
Totally approve.

Song 11: You Were the Cancer
Ok.... Starting out really slow.... Oh, some whispers/spoken lyrics? Okay, I'm following. And, then, some killer guitar jumps in, and I'm hooked, not to mention the nezt layering and effects they use. Hell, how can I not be hooked with a title like this? ...And, to sum it up, this is just another good solid Thursday effort. Great way to end the album: making me want more.
Totally approve.

Final thoughts? Once again.... Just like the Cure.... This album, I'd say, surpasses Thursday's last effort. And, A City by the Light Divided, was good, too.... I'm just enjoying this one more, and I can't wait to see what they do next!
the clocks turn back in retreat

2 comments:

  1. should i buy the cd? i might like it i think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... I'm gonna say... Yes. But, I'd buy their first album, "Full Collapse", first. Listen to that, and see what you think. If it gets a thumbs-up... Proceed to album 2, and then this album. (I'd just skip the third album, honestly.)
    I think you'll like these guys.

    ReplyDelete